Sunday, August 30, 2009

I've finished most of my packing, and in the morning I will be heading for Kennedy Airport, and then home for the week! I have been giddy all week anticipating this trip. I am thrilled for big momma hugs, sister cuddling, tear-filled laughter with my dad, best friend chatting, riding my bike, Farmer's Market, enjoying the sun, and relaxing. I start classes the Tuesday after I get back to New York, with only one day to get all of my things situated, so some relaxation is definitely something I plan on experiencing to its fullest.

Now that I'm so close to seeing my family, and that I know I probably won't get to see my Grandma, I decided to browse her adorable website for some reminiscing (you can too! just use this link: http://conniebutlersculptures.com/ ) She is such an amazing artist. I have seen her work around our house, her house, in Christmas cards, cards she'll send randomly just to say hi, my entire life, and I am angry at myself for shrugging it off, as if it was "just something Grandma threw together once." As I look at her work now, removed from it from quite some time now, I cannot help but be in awe of her. What I find most impressive and admirable is her method of creating a piece of art. I quote from her website, "For me, the process of creation is the concentration of my attention on wood, stone, or clay. When I first began, I trembled with respect and honor for the material. Now, I wait until a conversation between my mind and the material begins. It is a dialogue." One of my favorites of her pieces (other than the man-fountain) is a relatively small wooden sculpture of a pregnant woman; I recall her explaining to me how she decided to carve such a woman, showing me the different knots and circles of the wood, so perfectly positioned for the big belly and the two breasts. Brilliant, right?! As a little girl, I remember being embarrassed to look at that sculpture, wondering why she would want to carve a "naked woman", but once she explained it to me when I was older, I saw that smooth pregnant woman as elegant, powerful and spiritual. Despite growing up with such an artist, I really do not know much about the process of wood sculptures and how they are created, but I think it is wonderful that my Grandma carves what the wood wants to be carved as, not what she believes her next project should be. She is simply lovely!

No comments: