Sunday, July 12, 2009

cruisin'

My life is consumed by working, a lack of sleep, and occasionally going out with friends after work. I love it! I'm having more fun this summer than I've had in a very long time. Very convenient that I'm leaving so soon.. Wahh!

The fourth of july was very fun. I had to work in the afternoon, but later in the day, jennelle and I met up with one of her high school friends to watch the fireworks. She had gotten there much earlier in the day and put down a blanket RIGHT on the charles river. It was beautiful! Naturally, Boston doesn't kid around with the celebration of America's birth, so there was music, lots of food, lots of alcohol, lots of people, lots of laughter, and the most incredible fireworks display I've ever seen. The Boston Pops played, followed by a jet fly-over, four songs by Neil Diamond, and the final fireworks show. It was completely choreographed to music that was played through speakers set up all down the Charles.. I know they're just fireworks, but it took my breath away. Celebrating America's birthday in America's birthplace? Yes, please.

The next day, we went up to Wilmington to Jennelle's house for a big cookout with her family, and then went into her little town to see their fireworks show. Not in the least bit comparable to the night before, but it was really nice to be in the small town scene again, where the whole town comes out to celebrate. Made me a little homesick.... Anyway, that whole day/night was so much fun, just swimming, drinking mojitos, eating, and relaxing.
On thursday night at work, my manager hired a musician to play after dinner, and I was bouncing around all night in anticipation. He ended up having an incredible voice, so I kept telling everyone that I wanted to sing a duet with him, even though I wasn't completely serious. I did ask my manager at one point to see if it was okay if I did, but his lack of enthusiasm was enough to convince me that it wasn't a good idea. About twenty minutes after I had asked him, he comes barging into the kitchen, angrily demanding I come out to the dining room with him. He seemed so angry that I assumed I had done something wrong, someone had complained, or something to that extent; I was wrong! He grabbed my hand, walked me straight up to the singer, and said, "Yeah, excuse me? She's going to sing with you next." The guy looked a bit taken aback but asked if I knew "cruisin'" (the version by huey lewis and gwyneth paltrow that is...) "I know that one!" I stated, and he replied, a bit surprised, "well, okay then. Um, let's go!" It went perfectly! The harmonies were beautiful, neither of us forgot the lyrics, and it was so unbelievably exhilerating, I cannot even begin to explain! From my perspective, the audience was fairly big, since people crowded around, but I'm not sure how many were actually there. Either way, I'm so glad Todd made me go up there. I left that night without saying goodbye to anyone (a complete accident, I swear!) and I guess the guy wanted me to sing the last song, and I was nowhere to be found! Oops. Thanks for letting me sing with you, rocker man. It made my day/week/month.

Now, Jennelle and I are sitting on a bus to New York to go apartment hunting! I'm going to panic if I come up empty-handed. Less than three weeks until I have to leave, and as of right now, I'm homeless! Yikes. Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Ashley I was thrilled too hearing your replay of the fireworks on the Charles river. How great, and your singing with the guy where you work. You didn't mention the audience clapping and stomping its approval bet you wowed them. Good luck on the apartment. I thought you had a jazz singer lined up. ah well. You are a heroine, dauntless, brave and true... go girl. Lots of love Grandma

Sierra! said...

You never told me about this night with the singer! That is so amazing! I am so glad that Todd did make you go up there because I feel like that is a spontaneous act that you will remember for a long time. I am not surprised you blew them out of the water! Your voice is phenomenal! Love you!