Wednesday, September 23, 2009

best friends and a little bitta jazz.

Jennelley came to visit me this weekend!! It was so nice having someone familiar here, and someone to hang out with :) I missed her. We had dinner on Friday night at this cute little place called The Shake Shack, on 78th and Columbus. Delicious! I hadn't had a burger in a looong time. After that, we ended up walking from Central Park, to Columbus Circle, to Times Square, to Herald Square, to Madison Square Park, to Union Square, to Washington Square and NYU, to SoHo, and then home. 100 BLOCKS, no joke! It was exhausting, but it made the burger-eating a little less guilty, and it was nice to be able to show Jennelle around New York!

I painted all day Sunday, which I thought my Grandma would be proud of :) I hadn't done any kind of art project in years, so this was an absolute blast. I completely lost track of time and ended up painting until 11 PM (and I usually am in bed by 1030 on school nights..) but I loved it.

Monday, I was at school from 730 AM until 1030 PM. Longest day of my life.. but honestly, I wasn't even that tired, even with my lack of sleep the night before. Classes ended at 5, then I had to attend an Education Major seminar until 7. My roommate was playing a show in the school theatre at 8, so I decided to eat my PB&H and stick around to hear him. Now, I've listened to tracks of him and his band, named Origin Blue, play before, but I also know that jazz is a genre that must be listened to in person. From the moment they started playing, an enormous smile stretched across my face and never went away. Was that really my roommate playing so beautifully?? I was, and still am, quite speechless. Isamu is, by far, one of the most talented, magnificent, charismatic musicians I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Honestly, he's exceptional. When he plays, the happiness and passion that he feels for music is not only expressed through the notes he plays but through the energy in the room and the smile on his face. The whole band, comprising of a pianist (Isamu McGregor), a bassist (Evan Crane), and a drummer (Jeff Hatcher), flawlessly display what it looks like to have the love of music running through their veins. I've never met the other boys, but they are unbelievably talented musicians. The video below is of them playing a song called "Krantz Time," which Isamu wrote, and described to me as "the crowd pleaser." It was my favorite of the evening :) This version is with Francesco Bearzatti, a saxaphone player who they met while studying abroad in Florence this past spring. Incredible!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Ashley What fine musicians, I can certainly see why you were so pleased. Not only that but I can understand them, the music reminds me of the cool jazz of my youth. Isamu I see is totally into his thing, just jolly him along.... ah well. Painted for hours did you! Brought your paints along. Now that really warms the cockles of me heart. Keep it up my love, you were always an artist and I still have your wonderful grandma picture from years ago. You go directly to the subject, have a fine clarity and perception, and you can sing too. Well the skies the limit I say. I am still cranking out clay whistles and kazoos, and yes you will get one for Christmas your choice. Love you so much Grandma