Friday, September 11, 2009

first week

after completing my first week at nyu, this is what i've gathered:

-my inquiries into teaching and learning professor insists we call him frank, and it's mandatory that we all have a Facebook.
-there is a self-hired crossing guard at the intersection of washington place and washington square east. this man, who probably clocks in at a whopping 4'10" tall, stands on the sidewalk and yells, "watch it!" "oop!" "careful now!" "hold it!" to the pedestrians whenever he sees a car coming down washington square east.
-people are very, very fashionable.
-my indigenous australia professor clears his throat every 10-15 seconds by making a single, harsh grunting noise (although thursday's lecture wasn't so disruptive)
-*PREDICTION: this previously mentioned indigenous australia class is going to be the end of me.
-as of yet, i have no friends. i don't say this to pity myself, or to receive sympathy, just as a simple documentation of my hopeful progress in this area. (i must say, though, that i really do miss living with my best friends. i realize now that it was like a two-for-one deal, and i was very lucky. i find myself envious of those who live in the dorms, with many potential friends right at their fingertips. They don't even know how lucky they are!)
-i love that there is always a band or musician playing in washington square park.
-a squirrel leapt up onto my shoulder the other morning, and the maintenance man who saw it happen only shrugged and said, "hey, he's gotta eat too!" apparently new york squirrels are vicious.

...more to come...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

hey i was updating my profile and happened to click on the josh ritter link that was in my music interests by accident. it lead me to a bunch of other people who also love josh and i clicked on your blog out of curiosity! good luck with school, i was just up in ny visiting my friend who lives in the bedford neighborhood in brooklyn. i think she kind of felt the same way, its hard to meet new people up there. its kind of isolated even though you're surrounded by millions of people! josh is the best isn't he?

ashley said...

Wow, I think you may truly be the first non-relative who has acknowledged my blog. THANK YOU! and yes, I would probably go so far as to say that I am obsessed with Josh Ritter and his music. A couple of years ago, I was getting my hair cut at a place in Boston, and he sat down in the chair right next to me! I got so nervous though that I didn't say anything, and it's probably one of my biggest regrets. I had the chance to meet him a little while later though, and when I told him about that encounter, he was (apparently) very disappointed that I hadn't said hello. Somehow or another, Austin Nevins has become a friend of mine too, so I've got one degree of separation from my biggest musical admiration. I love to hear that he's loved!