Saturday, November 14, 2009

JOURNEY



Last Tuesday, I was walking to class and I noticed a big press conference going on in the middle of Washington Place. I was early for class, so I decided to stick around for a little while and see what all of the commotion was about. I saw Mayor Bloomburg, Emma Thompson, and two other people standing on a stage situated in front of a long row of those large storage portables.

I had seen these portables being delivered throughout the week prior, but I had no idea what they were for. It turns out that this was an art exhibit dedicated to the awareness of sex trafficking in Europe and throughout the world.

This morning, I finally went to go see it, and I am so beyond thankful that I did. Prior to seeing this exhibit, I'd be aware of sex trafficking, but until this afternoon, I realize now that I hardly knew anything. This display is set up as seven different portables all connecting to one another through open passageways.

Each portable focuses on a different step of one particular girl's journey into this awful, unspoken world. It forces the viewer to put themselves into the mind of this young woman, using sounds, smells, and mirrors to further engage the viewer. The one portable that is still making my stomach turn was a bedroom set-up.

I could smell the room before I even stepped through the door, and it was horrendous - Absolutely gut-wrenching. The stench from the dirty carpet, the condoms covering the floor, and the overflowing trash can is still lingering in my nose; at one point, after about thirty seconds in the room, I had to bring my scarf to my face and breath through it because I couldn't stand the smell any longer. There was a motor inside the bed making it move up and down in an obvious sexual rhythm, with a very disturbing soundtrack coming from hidden speakers.

By the time I reached the last portable, I couldn't quite pin-point my emotions. I felt sad, disgusted, dirty, and ashamed, yet also thankfully enlightened. How despicable it is that we live in a world where things like this happen, completely under the radar. Thank God for people like Emma Thompson and the Helen Bamer Foundation for bringing realities like this to the world's attention.

This exhibit is making its way around the country, but it only shows for about a week, and then it moves on. If it happens to come to a city near you, or if you get a opportunity to experience it, I highly recommend you do so. Words cannot describe this experience and the power it conveys.

No comments: