Tuesday, November 24, 2009

thanks be with you, and also with you.

Tomorrow evening, I'm catching the train to spend the weekend in Boston for Thanksgiving! I really cannot stress enough how glad I am that this holiday has finally arrived. I miss Jennelley, Tessie, Lucas, AJ, Kate, Dan, the entire Ciulla family, everyone at MJ's... Ahh, to see everyone again is going to be so lovely!

Erika and her best friend Eva held a clothing drive this past weekend, and they ended up collecting nearly 3,000 articles of winter clothing! I am so proud of them, and I find their kind hearts and love for their community to be beyond admirable. There were numerous articles about their cause, cleverly named "Warm A Cold Shoulder", in the newspapers (they were even featured on the local news!) One thing that the girls mentioned really stood out for me though.. Pardon my paraphrasing.. Around the holidays, one thing that people in fortunate circumstances often overlook is the fact that they are WARM. Regardless of shelter, central heating systems, whathaveyou, every person deserves to feel warm during these chilly winter months.

I see homeless people so often around this city that I've gotten used to seeing them, or NOT seeing them, rather. How arrogant is that? Erika and Eva's efforts have really gotten me thinking about my life, the priviledges that I have, and what I am truly thankful for. Thank you, to both of you, for reaching out and giving everything that you could back to your community. The gesture, the warmth, the love, the dedication, and the inspiration that you both exude means more than any amount of money could buy or words could properly express.

I am thankful that I have a loving family that continuously supports my crazy aspirations and decisions. I am thankful that I have a comfortable bed to sleep in every night. I am thankful that I am living in one of the most amazing cities in the world. I am thankful that I am being educated at one of the most incredible universities in the country. I am thankful for the incredible people that I've met throughout my life, and that those people are constantly more than happy and willing to take me under their wing at any moment.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, everyone :)

Xoxoxo

No comments: