Wednesday, February 18, 2009

2.18

Waves

I yearn for the surf.
Where are you?
I wish for nothing
more
than to swim, carelessly,
surrounded.

I find you.
There you are,
wild and energetic,
much too deep, much too intense.
Perfect.

I dive in,
feeling those chilling arms around me.
I feel refreshed, free.
I am safe.

................................

The Professor


his long hands cradled his face
grey, weary, full of wisdom.
his brow furrowed
like ripples on a pond.
and his eyes,
though desperate and exhausted,
glistened in the sunlight.

the physical baggage
that he had stored below
those spectacular eyes
spoke to his audience.
he unpacked them,
for educational purposes of course,
and shared his stories.
one by one.

away he wandered.
from his sanctuary,
his family.
so sad, alone.
but those eyes never faltered.
they continued to breathe,
to tell his story.
the wisdom, 
immeasurable.

................................

[untitled]

I seem to find 
my biggest inspiration in
the ocean.
Perhaps it is
the tide. Or the wind.
Or the glare.
The glare is especially bright off the surface.
I wish I had sunglasses…
No, I can handle the glare on my own.

The fencepost next to me
has two legs and is smoking
a cigarette.
The smoke dances with the breeze,
occasionally switching partners and
dancing with the boats instead.
I wish this breeze wasn’t
clouded with nicotine.

So many people
walk alone,
sit alone,
read alone,
attempt suicide alone,
write alone.
I wish I wasn’t alone.

I think I would like my sunglasses now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you write these ashsizzle?

ashley said...

yes indeed, anonymous!

Anonymous said...

I am quite impressed dood. they are very good, kind of upsetting though lol. you'll never figure out who i am, biffle.. never in a million years.

ashley said...

upsetting? uh oh. that wasn't my intention...

oh, and when you click on the first "anonymous" link, it takes you straight to your blog ;)

Anonymous said...

well maybe upsetting isn't the best word, sad themed maybe? lol.. and i knew you knew twas me cuz i think im the only one who calls u ashsizzle haha.. but nonetheless whatever the intention of your poems they are quite good and chyea i hope you enjoy my redundant comments on it :)