Monday, March 30, 2009

3.30

i turned in my "declaration of a major" paperwork today, which for some reason makes me feel so motivated. it's like i finally have a direction at this school, and that in itself is very exciting! last friday i had an advising appointment, and the advisor told me that i could potentially double major, if i geared down right now and did it. so, everyone, as of right now i am going to double major in american studies and anthropology. weird, right? i'm so excited though! when i was in the american studies office today, i got to talk to chair of the department (who is the author of one of my books !! ) and she was so excited to welcome me to the department. she gave me a booklet about the program, a quick tour of the department, and insisted that i call her by her first name. everything about that ten minute encounter convinced me that i'm doing the right thing.. i don't want to ignore the good omens :) i have yet to talk to the anthro people, since that major may turn into a minor, depending on how well two of my classes next semester turn out. a good amount of the american studies courses count towards anthropology too, so why not? plus, having a transcript that shows i doubled-majored gives me a huge leg up, especially since neither major can directly employ me with a specific job. it's all so exciting! i'm sure you could care less about my educational jabber, but it's consuming my life, so i don't know what else to write about!

i've been thinking lately too about the peace corps. i talked with a woman in sonoma about it briefly, and it sounds like such an incredible experience. she told me it truly is a lot of hard work, but it's so empowering, inspiring, and enriching, i would like to think i am a great candidate for it. what's also pretty cool is that if you enroll in a certain program, once you're done, they will pay for graduate school. cool! with this plan in mind, the anthropology degree doesn't seem too random. we'll see what happens though...

otherwise, life is good! work is slow, school is busy, the weather is getting better but still pretty awful, and i found a boy to have a crush on for the time being! semi-pointless, i know, but what's a girl to do? life can change in an instant.

xoxo

p.s. t-minus three months until we move out of this apartment! we don't know where we're moving, but i can't wait. i spent a large portion of this weekend looking for duvet covers, headboards, 800 thread-count sheets, lamps, all that good stuff :) so pumped!

No comments: